THE D61+ PLATFORM SUITE
Connecting industry with research expertise
Expert Connect is publicly searchable database of Australia’s research expertise, with more than 50,000 expert profiles from over 220 research organisations. Expert Connect has been designed to boost industry-researcher collaboration, with profiles for researchers being automatically created by drawing on authoritative sources, including:
- patent data from IP Australia;
- grant data from ARC & NHMRC;
- journal articles from Clarivate Analytics’ Web of Science;
- author profiles and media articles from The Conversation Media Group, and;
- profile data from ORCID and research organisation directories.
The drawing together of this data is ongoing and automatic, with each new piece of data added to the relevant profile without manual intervention. There is no need for researchers to create or update their Expert Connect profile.
Anyone can search for a topic of interest using simple, non-scientific language, and find the most relevant researcher(s) to connect with. The platform considers both academic expertise and industry nous, presenting users with a list of relevant experts that are most likely to understand their business context.
Australian research expertise is just the start. Building on the current dataset, Expert Connect is expanding to include researchers from around the globe. Functionality will also be added to better support usage of the platform beyond industry-researcher linkages.
- Automatic profile creation. Expert Connect draws upon existing public data (via API) to create researcher profiles, reducing manual curation and duplication of effort.
- Bridges the language divide. Any business person can search for a topic of interest using simple, non-scientific language, and find the most relevant researcher/s to connect with.
- Relevant search results. Expert Connect considers both academic expertise and industry nous when returning research results.
- A collaborative approach. Expert Connect has been developed in collaboration with over 50 partners from across industry, research and government, with new collaborators being added continuously.
- Open data for ease and convenience. All Expert Connect data is available via API, allowing any organisation to showcase Australia’s research expertise (or a subset of it) on their own platform.
- Done is better than perfect. Taking an agile approach, the platform was launched in beta in 2017. Work is occurring daily to enhance the data matching, improve and add functionality, and scale the platform globally. We are always open to suggestions on how to best shape the platform moving forward so please get in touch.
Harnessing research expertise to solve complex challenges
Rather than needing to know the research expertise they require, users can instead put forward details of the problem they are looking to solve, with experts then able to propose a solution. The Innovation Challenges marketplace also aggregates other relevant opportunities into a central place, making it easier for potential problem solvers to find them.
Challenges posted on the platform are automatically flagged with relevant experts most likely to have a viable solution. This means industry and government get their challenges in front of the right experts, and researchers get visibility of key end user challenges and priorities. If you have an innovation challenge you need solved, please get in touch with the details and we will list it on the platform.
Visualising national and global innovation data
InnovationMap is an interactive, geographic visualisation of innovation related data. Built on the Data61 Terria platform, InnovationMap allows users to overlay multiple datasets (including any data from data.gov.au) to build up a rich picture of a particular region and observe how it changes over time. The data always remains hosted at its original source, and is automatically drawn in and visualised as required.
The InnovationMap is currently visualising:
- Innovation Precincts
- SA3 Region Innovation Data
Plans are underway to also show the following data on the map:
- Expert Connect profiles
- Research infrastructure
If you have access to data that you believe would add value to InnovationMap users, please get in touch.